The oldest church of Corvara, dedicated to Saint Catherine of Alexandria, was mentioned for the first time in 1347.
In 1452, the little church has been dedicated to Saint Catherine (Santa Caterina, in Italian), and repeatedly in 1501, but it was mentioned for the first time in written documents already in 1347. The beautiful building served as parish church until the new church was built in 1959. The St. Catherine Church has been constructed in late Gothic style - in its interior there are numerous precious frescos, including the oldest painting which shows St. Catherine at the left wall next to the entrance. The martyry of the Saint is depicted on the outer wing of the altar.
This piece of art has been created by Ruprecht Potsch in 1520. The artist was a member of the famous Danube School, known as the link between the late Gothic and the Renaissance. As the whole year round the inner side of the altar is shown, we recommend you to visit the church during Lent, as in this period of time the altar is closed and thus shown from outside.
Beside the St. Catherine Church, there’s also another church in Corvara. The modern parish church, built in 1959 according to plans by Arch. Erich Pattis, has been dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The four evangelists, Saint Bernard of Menthon, Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face, Saint Catherine of Siena and Saint Francis of Assisi as well as the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan river are depicted on its glass windows.