The well-known Santa Croce Pilgimage Site (Holy Cross) is located at 2,045 m a.s.l. beneath the majestic Mt. Sasso di Santa Croce
High above Badia, more precisely the hamlet of Oies - the birthplace of St. Joseph Freinademetz - a lovely little church was built almost 600 years ago. The sanctuary was consecrated in 1484 by the Bishop of Bressanone and dedicated to the Holy Cross. However, savants presume that the Santa Croce Church has once been a pagan cult site, dating back to the time when the Alta Badia has been sparsely populated. The name “Col dei Paternostri” (Paternoster Hill) - referring to a place right in front of the church - could be an indication of this presumption.
It is documented that since 1584 Holy Masses were held in the La Crusc Pilgrimage Church, since 1649 even once a week: from the Feast of the Holy Cross on June 6 to the Feast of St. Francis on October 4. In this document also the adjacent hospice was mentioned for the first time which once hosted the sexton as well as the pilgrims. Nowadays the building houses the well-known Rif. Santa Croce in Badia mountain hut.
Inside the church, still today there is an altar in which numerous relicts of Saints are kept. The steeple, which has been constructed in the 17th century, features three big bells. The popular pilgrims’ path which leads to the sanctuary is accessible from the nearby hamlets of Oies and San Leonardo - from the latter also a funicular starts and takes you into the world of mountains. Furthermore, beautiful hiking paths lead you in summer and winter alike to this ensemble, situated near the Armentara Meadows in the heart of the Fanes-Senes-Braies Nature Park.
freely accessible during the day
admission to the pilgrimage church:
ascent and descent by cable car:
€ 25.00 adults
€ 22.50 children and young people (8-16 years)
free for children up to 7 years
The La Crusc Pilgrimage Church is accessible by foot or with the cable car (La Crusc Chairlift 1 and La Crusc Cable Car 2): It operates from June 10 to October 1, 2023, daily from 8.45 am to 5.15 pm.
During the season closures of the cable car in spring (mid-April to mid-June) and in autumn (early October to early December), the church can be reached only by foot.